- Created by: Elliemaybl
- Created on: 30-01-20 20:17
CASE STUDY: NEPAL EARTHQUAKE, 2015 (LEDC)
25th April, 2015.
7.8/7.9 on the Richter scale.
- Approx 80km north-west of capital Katmandu.
- The earthquake occured as a result of thrust faulting on the main fault between subducting Indian plate and overriding Eurasian plate to the North.
- The Indian plate is colliding with the Eurasian plate, driving the Himilayas upwards.
- Another aftershock on the 26th, as well as May 12th.
- Epicentre was near the Chinease border, between Katmandu and Mount Everest.
- The fourth biggest earthquake since 1988.
- Nearly 9,000 dead.
- Nearly 20,000 killed or injured.
- Worst earthquake in Nepal in over 80 years.
- Temperatures drop massively in Nepal through the evening, leading homeless people…