What was it like for women in Britain before the W
New employment opportunities were opening up for middle-class women, who had some education.
- Domestic servants in 1900's-> 1,740,800
- Nurses-> 68,000
In marriages, women were in a very inferior position to their husbands. they were treated with violence, they couldn't start their own divorce proceedings and they were their husbands property. BY the 1900 women...
- keep their property
- get a divorce against their husband
- leave the marital home voluntary.
- HOWEVER-> Wife-battering and marital sexual assault was legal.
- If divorce occurred a mother would lose her children.
By the 1900's...
By the 1900...
- It was easier for women to enter professions, especially teaching.
- When telephones and typewriters were invented, it brought women new job opportunities.
- 1 million women were eligible to vote at council and parish elections.
- Politically, women's rights were still very limited.
- Socially, women were starting to leave their homes and play a bigger part in society.
By the 1890s "Votes for Women" was becoming an important issue, and arguments were being advanced for and against the idea.
Arguements FOR Votes for Women.
- Women would be paid more, less crime/prostitution.
- Parliaments decisions affect both sexes.
- Women could make a valuable contribution. they are the creators of future soldiers and good citizens.
- Why shouldn't educated women get the vote, uneducated men can vote?
- Women can vote in local elections, why not vote in the bigger elections?
- Rich women pay taxes so they should be able to vote.
- Women are the spiritual spine of the nation and women can vote in other nations.
- Many single women have the same responsibilities as men.
- Women need to be represented as they are specialists in the home.
- Not a real democracy until women vote.
Arguements AGAINST Votes for Women
- Women have no idea about politics or business. The men vote on women's behalf.
- Only higher class women would be able to vote and make no difference to ordinary women.
- Not all men can vote yet, so why give women the vote?
- Giving women the vote means duties will not be completed.
- The issue of voting is causing too many problems.
- It is too risky to change a system that already works.
- God intended Eve to obey Adam.
- Women are hysterical, they have small brains.
- Their menstrual cycles make women incapable of voting.