- Evidence to Support
-Evidence to Oppose
- Practical Application
- Research Methods
1 of 5
The Self Fulfilling Prophecy (Crime)
- Cannot test ethically, as this may induce behaviour which would not have occured otherwise.
- Evidence which exists lies in education and not within crime.
- Will only work if expectations are not too different to the induviduals view of themselves. Low Self Concept.
- Social Learning Theory may be a more plausible explanation.
- Wider effect on society of labelling.
- Jahoda- provides evidence with criminal Psychology.
- Evidence in education is still valid to support the Self Fullfilling Prophecy.
- Correlational Studies show the effect of a self fullfilling prohecy.
2 of 5
Social Learning Theory (Crime)
- Cause and Effect relationships are hard to establish due to many other factors involved in criminal behaviour.
- Charlton provides evidence against the role of SLT and the media, as it promoted pro social behaviour, not anit- social behaviour.
- It doesn't explain induvidual differences, like why some people are criminals from role models but others are not.
- There are issues with Bandura's research as evidence to support the theory.
- Practical application of social learning theory in the real world. Changes in role models.
- Shows why criminal behaviour may run within families.
- Bandura provides evidence, as he found children imitated aggressive behaviour from thier same sex role model.
- Williams provides evidence for the fact that TV/media role models influence agressive behaviour.
3 of 5
Learning Explanation (Health)
- Ennet et al. - Shows that SLT is more likely to support not taking drugs, rather than being a negative influence.
- Ignores biological factors, so is therefore reductionist.
- People continue to take drugs despite the naty initial effects, meaning there are other facotrs which contribute.
- Issues with cause and effect, we can measure social learning theory effectively.
- Wider exploration of behaviour as it used 3 areas (classical, operant, SLT) to explain sustance misuse.
- Explains culutral differences.
- SLT is well accepted throughout all of psychology.
- Explains psychological dependance, with classical conditioning, and context dependancy.
4 of 5
- Brain is too complex to study. Research evidence is useless as it doesnt encompass this complexity.
- PET scans, which are used to study the explanation lack ecological validity.
- We cannot generalise reults from animal studies.
- It is reductionist as it ignores the influence of the environment.
- Explains withdrawl, tolerance, dependance as they are all biological processes.
- Evidence from animal studies which show biochemical changes supporting the model.
- Correlational studies show there is a change in brain chemicals when drugs are used.
- PET scans provide evidence for brain changes.
5 of 5
Similar Psychology resources: