- 1000s of films were made by Nazis- mostly love stories, comedies, adventures or political films to set example.
- Some were Anti-Jewish, Anti-Communist or Anti-British
- Goebbels wanted people to be entertained- this was how propagand worked best
- Goebbels used radio extensively to spread Nazi ideas, Hitler's speeches, biassed news and nazi music, which would be played 24/7.
- Goebbels developed the "people's radio"- a cheap reciever that would be given to people too poor to afford an ordinary radio. They could not recieve foreign signals.
- Most public places had to turn on their radios for important Nazi broadcasts.
- From 1938, loud speakers were put up on posts in the street.
- Propaganda sometimes took the form of lies eg. whisper propaganda, planting false rumors
- School books were rewritten to include nazi ideas
1 of 4
- Goebbels was a master at posters
- Thousands of issues could be covered
- Used simple, stark words and images
- Even uneducated people could understand then.
- Nazis took over most newspapers
- Anti-nazi papers were banned
- The Propaganda minsestry issued daily orders to papers.
- People were encouraged to buy nazi papers and were threatened if subscriptions were cancelled.
- The olympics was decided before Hitler came to power,
- Hitler wanted it to show superiority of the Aryan race
- Lots of nazi symbols were on show
2 of 4
Culture and Festivals
- Only Nazi approved music was allowed
- Theatre had to be either German history or nazi political drama
- Many books were banned and taken from the shelves- there was also a special burning of books.
- Many Nazi events were marked with festivals, marches and holidays eg. the anniversary of the Munich Putsch.
Rallies and Campaigns
- Rallies and Campaigns were used to increase people's loyalty to the party
- Each year, a mass rally at Nuremburg brough together thousands of people for parades and displays to raise funds for the party.
- The most popular campaigns were for "One-pot sundays" Where families were expected to cook sunday lunch in a single pot and give the money saved to collectors.
3 of 4
Restrictions on free expressions
- Goebbels used censorship to control people's thoughts
- Books were the first form of expression to be censored as 20000 books were burnt that were written by jews and communists on a huge bonfire in 1933
- Libraries took forbidden books off the shelves and bookshelves were raided.
- Entertainment and culture were censored as jazz music and the jitterbug dance were banned, purely because they oiginated from black people.
- Modern art was condemmed as "Degenerate" and thrown out of galleries.
- Films and plays were vetted for nu.dity and s.e.x scenes.
- There was a law against malicious gossip in 1934- forbidding anti-nazi jokes and stories
4 of 4