1946-7 - GMD OFFENSIVES.
- 1946 - GMD offensive. Captured large cities.
- "Corridoor" in Manchuria.
- Communists were in retreat.
- Yanan taken.
1 of 5
1947-8 - TURNING POINT FOR THE CCP.
- PLA attacks were, at first, unsuccessful.
- GUERRILLA WARFARE ----> CONVENTIONAL BATTLE.
- Series of Communist victories. Captured vital cities.
2 of 5
- PLA offensive at Xuzhou railway - successful
- Easily captured Beijing.
- WHOLE OF NORTHERN CHINA WAS OCCUPIED BY THE CCP.
- Chiang Kai-Shek fled to Taiwan in 1949.
3 of 5
- CONSCRIPT ARMIES - low on morale. Been in constant battle with their own people for years (SINO-JAPANESE WAR) Paid poorly.
- LACK OF POPULAR SUPPORT - failure of THREE PEOPLE'S PRINCIPLES showed weakness.
- CORRUPTION - asked people for money to tell them what was going on.
4 of 5
- PEASANT RESPECT - treated the population (88% peasants) with resoect - gave them land ("land to the tillers")
- GUERILLA WARFARE TACTICS - appealing.
- LIN BIAO - fantastic military leader.
- MAO'S LEADERSHIP - guerilla to modern army.
5 of 5
Similar History resources: