Why do teens take Alcohol
Why do teens drink alcohol:
- Peer pressure- Some teenagers are pressured into alcohol abuse by their so-called friends bullying them.To feel like they fit in. To avoid their friends thinking of them as different.
- Media- it can persuade teens to drink alcohol because the advertisers make alcohol look 'cool', necessary, what everyone else does.
- Depression- some teens use alcohol as a coping method to escape from problems, but unfortunately alcohol oftens end up being the problem not the escape route.
What Alcohol does to You
What Alcohol Does to You
- Makes you drunk
- Makes you lose your inhibtions/manners
- Can make you agressive/abusive/rude/threatening
- Can make you throw up
- If you drink too much of it, you get a hangover
- Chronic high blood pressure-
- Depression-As it is a depressant, alcohol can trigger episodes of depression and anxiety
- Brain damage-Over time, alcohol can cause permanent damage to the connection between nerve cells
- Pancreatitus-Just a few weeks of heavy drinking can result in painful inflammation of the pancreas, known as pancreatitis. It results in a swollen abdominal area and can cause nausea and vomiting.
- Excessive alcohol consumption is linked to an increase in the risk of most cancers. Last week, Cancer Research UK warned how growing alcohol use is causing a steep rise in mouth cancer cases.
How to spot Alcohol Abuse
Signs and Symptons of Alcohol Abuse:
- Repeatedly neglecting your responsibilities-For example, performing poorly at work, flunking classes, neglecting your kids, or skipping out on commitments because you’re hung over.
- Making bad decisions such as or mixing alcohol with prescription medication against doctor’s orders.
- Getting in trouble with the Law-For example, getting arrested for driving under the influence or for drunk and disorderly conduct.
- Continuing to drink even though your alcohol use is causing problems in your relationships. Getting drunk with your buddies
- Drinking as a way to relax or de-stress- Many drinking problems start when people use alcohol to self-soothe and relieve stress.
Questions I might get asked
Why did you choose alcohol abuse to do your talk on?
As recently i went to see my friends from my old school and i was really shocked as most of them had drinking problems or drug problems. It was really strange as I have known all of them sincce nursery.
Why do you think alcohol is a bad thing?
The reason why I think alcohol is such a bad thing is because it can cloud your judgement and lead to you making stupid decisions.
Do you think drinking alcohol is right as a teenager or as an adult?
I think that drinking as a teenager is wrong because it is actually illegal and our bodies are much less able to cope with alcohol, it can lead you in to saying or doing silly things, which get you in to trouble. However, there are social situations such as a party where everyone else might be drinking and although I would like to think that I would only try a little bit, but I am not sure. What do you think you would do? I think drinking as an adult is fine, as long as it doesn't start to become a problem to yourself or to other people.