- Created by: norrae
- Created on: 15-12-20 17:09
Sociology Exam Papers
- Introduction to scoiological theory and research methods
- The sociology of crime and deviance
- Who has power within society?
- Social inequality
- Sociology is the study of society and what influences them. It is a science so there are many research methods. People conform to many forms of society, such as a community of social traits.
- Tthe study began with the French Revolution (1789-99)
- The first person to use the term was a French writer, Auguste Comte, although he preferred "social physics".
Consensus vs. Conflict
Consensus - they see society in a positive light. They study different functions and interactions of different social groups.
Conflict - they belived in societies being based of power. Those with power in society keep hold of it by exploiting other groups.
- Consumerism - a desire to buy and use consumer products for their use and gratification
- New social movements - an informally organised group who support a particular cause or promote certain interests
- Progress - beliefe in the continuous improvement of society
- Sociological debate - discussions between sociologists about how to best understand the nature of society
- Unit of consimption - the family unit consumes the products if industrial society by purchasing goods and services.