My Polish Teacher's Tie
- Culture/Cultural differences
- Hierarchy/Social class
- Carla (the bird), Stephan (the tie), Valerie (the buns), The Head (the pile of papers).
When the Wasps Drowned
- Denial (loss of childhood innocence)
- Suppressed/Fractured memories (conveyed particularly in the structure of the story)
- Therese, Eveline, Tyler, the Mother, Mr Mordecai, the dead girl, the police at the door.
- Wasps, the dead body, the ring, the garden.
Compass and Torch
- Suppressed emotions
- Boy, Father, Mother, Step-Father, Horses
- Horses, Torch, Compass
On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl
- Self preservation/protection
- Boy, Girl
The Darkness Out There
- Generation gap
- Human Nature
- Growing up/Gaining knowledge
Characters:- Old Lady, Girl, Boy, Man in the plane, Old ladies husband, Sister.
- Childhood/Growing up
- Anil, Amma(mother), Appa/Ragunathan(father), Marimuthu, The headman.
Something Old, Something New
- Cultural differences
- The man, The woman, The woman's family (her brother + her uncle)