- Created by: MathsMania
- Created on: 13-03-20 17:58
Ozymandias - Key Quotes
- 'sneer of cold command'
- 'my name is Ozymandias, king of kings/look on my work ye mighty and despair'
- 'nothing beside remains'
- 'round the decay, of that colossal wreck'
- 'lone and level sands stretch far away'
1 of 15
London Key Quotes
- 'chartered Thames does flow'
- 'in every face I meet/ marks of weakness, marks of woe'
- 'mind forged manacles'
- 'chimney sweepers cry'
- 'every blackn'ing church appalls/ and the hapless soldier's sigh/ runs in blood down palace walls'
2 of 15
The Prelude Key Quotes
- 'lustily/I dipped my oars into the silent lake'
- 'melted into all one track/ of sparkling light'
- 'like a living thing strode after me'
- 'no familiar shapes remained/ no plesants images of trees/of sea or sky'
- 'moved slowly through the mind/by day, and were a trouble to my dreams
3 of 15
My Last Duchess - Key Quotes
- That's my last duchess painted on the wall/ looking as if she was alive
- Some how - I know not how- as if she ranked/ my gift of a nine-hundred-years-old name/with anyone's gift
- I gave commands, then all smiles stopped
- Notice Neptune, though, taming a seahorse
4 of 15
Storm on the Island
- we are prepared, we build our houses squat'
- blast: you know what I mean-leaves and branches can raise a tragic gale
- the very windows, spits like a tame cat turned savage
- while wind dives/and strafes invisibly/space is a salvo/ we are bombarded by the empty air
5 of 15
Bayonet Charge Key Quotes
- suddenly he awoke and was running-raw
- he lugged a rifle as numb as a smashed arm
- in what cold clockwork of the stars of the stars annd nations/ was he the hands pointing that second
- threw up a yellow hare that rolled like a flame
- king, honour, human dignity, ecetera/ dropped like luxuries in a yelling alarm
6 of 15
Remains Key Quotes
- one of my mates goes by and tosses his guts back into his body
- I see broad daylight on the other side
- end of story except not really
- drinks and drugs won't flush him out
- his bloody life in my bloody hands
7 of 15
Charge of the Light Brigade
- someone had blunder'd
- their's not to make reply/ their's not to reason why/ their's but to do and die
- into the jaws of death, into the the mouth of hell
- while horse and hero fell
- Honour the charge they made!/Honour the Light Brigade!/Noble six hundred!
8 of 15
Exposure Key Quotes
- our brains ache in the merciless iced east winds that knive us
- dawn massing in the east her melancholy army
- gunnery rumbles/ far off, like a dull rumour of some other war
- the burying-party, picks and shovels in shaking grasp
- The love of God seems dying
- Is it that we are dying?
- but nothing happens
9 of 15
- all my words flattened, rolled, turned into felt, slowly melting
- I steeled the softening of my face
- I resisted the impulse to run my fingers through the gelled blackthorns of your hair
- The world over flowing like a treasure chest/ a split second you were away, intoxicated
10 of 15
- He has a job to do
- he/ a Priest preparing to intone a Mass
- Belfast. Beirut. Phonm Penh. All flesh is grass
- a hundred agonies
- Home again/ to ordinary ppain which simple weather can dispel
- explode beneath the feet/of running children in a nightmare heatthe reader's eyeballs procks with tears between bath and pre-lunch beers
11 of 15
Checking Out Me History Key Quotes
- Dem tell me/ Dem tell me/ wha dem want to tell me
- Bandage up me eye with me own history/ Blind me to my own identity
- Toussaint de thorn/ to de French/ Toussaint de Beacon/ of de Haitian Revolution
- Nanny/see far woman
- [Mary Seacole] She still brave the Russian snow'
- 'a healing star among the wounded/a yellow sunrise/to the dying
- But now I checking out me own history/I carving out me identity
12 of 15
Kamikaze Key Quotes
- Her father embarked on sunrise
- little fishing boatts/strung out like bunting/on a green-blue translucent sea
- flashing silver as their bellies/swivelled towards the sun
- they treated him/ as though he no longer existed
- we too learned/to be silent/to live as though he had never returned
- he must have wonnderd/which had been the better way to die
13 of 15
Tissue Key Quotes
- "Let the daylight break through capitals and monoliths"
- Represents human governments and buildings, they are just temporary when compared to nature
- 'if buildings were paper I might feel their drift'
- 'what was paid by credit card might fly our lives like paper kites'
- place layer over layer, luminous script over numbers over line, and never wish to build again with brick'
- "Pages smoothed and stricken and turned"
- Gentle verbs and the reputation of "and" shoes that the pages are treated with respect and affection - the description makes them sound almost as if they're a child or a pet
14 of 15
The Emigree Key Quotes
- "the bright, filled paperweight"
- "there once was a country"
- "I am branded by an impression of sunlight"
- "I comb its hair and love its shining eyes"
- "time rolls its tanks"
- 'sick with tyrants'
15 of 15