- Created by: Ben1230
- Created on: 31-03-18 12:20
What is the purpose of research?
- Test a theory or hypothesis
- develop new theories
What is quantitative data?
Data in a numerical form.
What is qualitative data?
Data that is not numerical.
What is primary sources/secondary sources?
- Sources produced by the sociologist by themselves and is tailored to what they need.
- Secondary sources are pre existing data which is not tailored to the specific aim.
What factors affect research topics?
- Practical, ethical and theoretical.
- Random: every sampling unit has an equal chance of being picked.
- Stratified sampling: population divided according to variable ,then sample is chosen on population percentages.
- Quota: determines no of people with each characteristic. Fills up quota.
- Multi-stage: Involves taking a sample of a sample
- Snowball: introduced to potential people who could be in your sample.
- Oppurtunity: Select people who are accessible.
Name 5 advantages/disadvantages of Questionnaires
- Large amounts of data can be collected quickly.
- access to subjects is easy
- Knows what is best to ask -pre determined.
- Cannot answer questions.
Advantages and disadvantages of Interviews name 5
- Large samples can be used if structured.
- Large answer questions.
- Respondents may be untruthful.
- Social factors may influence the sort of answers.
- Researcher bias.
strengths and weaknesses of participant observatio
- May gain answers to questions not necessarily noted to ask.
- difficult for respondents to lie or mislead.
- moral danger
- samples are likely to be small.
Name 5 advantages/disadvantages of longitudinal st
- allows the researcher to look over time.
- Does not require retrospective recall.
- useful for studying the life course or social mobility.
- requires a long term commitment
- sample attrition
What are the types of triangulation ?
Triangulation- cross checking studies using multiple methods.
Facilitation- one method is used to assist the use or to develop another.
Complimentary- more than one method is used to dovetail.
Name 3 purposes for triangulation
- check reliability.
- gain different perspectives.