Key things about Christianity and Islam 1
- Five types of truth:
- Scientific truth: Truth verified by scientific method, often seen as the most absolute, although as Science changes,so do scientific truths. E.G. The earth revolves around the sun.
- Historical truth: Truth based on events that happened in the past. While events can be called historically true, why or what exactly happened is often debated by historians. For example, Battle of Hastings 1066 is a historical truth, but the death of Harold is not known exactly and commonly disputed.
- Moral truth: Moral truth is the truth about whether something is right or wrong to do ethically. It is often said that scientific truth neglects moral truth, and so is not the only truth, although some Moral truths can be seen as subjective or objective. E.G. It is wrong to commit murder for almost everyone, or maybe for Catholics abortion is morally unjustifiable, and that is a moral truth for them
- Religious Truth: This is truth based on Religious texts mostly, and also teachings about a Religion. E.G. Jesus was a real person is a HISTORICAL TRUTH. Jesus is the son of God is a RELIGIOUS TRUTH for Christians.
1 of 12
Key things about Christianity and Islam 2
- Sources of Religious truth come from the Bible for Christians and the Qu'ran for Muslims.
- Religious Authorities come from Priests, Bishops, Vicars, the Pope, and the Arch-bishop of canterbury for Christians, and from Imams for Muslims. People often use conscience as a source of moral truth.
- Christians often express spirituallity through joining a monastery as a Monk or a Nun, in a faith community, but most express through prayer, donations, and lifestyle choices.
- Muslims have strong community ideals in Ummah, which is essentially a worldwide community. They locally pray at Mosques and follow the five pillars to express spirituallity, and helping others
- Five pillars of Islam: Shahadah, Salat, Sawm, Zakat and Hajj. These are respectively Profession of faith, prayers five times a day, fasting during Ramadan, giving alms to the poor (2.5% of wealth usually), and pilgrimage to Mecca.
2 of 12
Matters of life - quotations
- "Then God Said, And now we will make human beings; they will belike us and resemble us"
- "You saw me before I was born"
- "The human embryo has the right to proper respect. Test tube babies are real babies, not simple embryos to be manipulated, frozen or left to die."
- "He gives daughters to whom he will, and sons to whom he pleases"
- "No one can be their mother except those who gave them birth"
- "If anyone has saved a life, it would be as if he had saved the life of the whole of mankind"
3 of 12
Matters of life - sources
- Genesis 1:26
- Psalms 139:16
- The Roman Catholic Truth Society
- Surah 42
- Surah 58
- Surah 5
4 of 12
Matters of death - quotations
- "Love your neighbour as yourself" (caring for elderly)
- "Do not commit murder"
- "Without the consent of the person Euthanasia is murder. His consent would make it murder. Morally this is a crime which cannot become legal by any means."
- "He himself fixed beforehand the exact times...they would live"
- "Christ has been raised from death, as the guarantee that those who sleep in death will also be raised"
- "If you confess that Jesus is Lord and believe that God raised him from death, you will be saved"
- "For Christians, death is not a disaster, but a new beginning. Therefore, attempts to preserve life at any cost should be questioned."
- Muslim idea of Ummah makes caring for elderly relatives an honour and a chance for spiritual growth.
- "Allah fixes the time span for all things"
- "When their term expires, they would not be able to delay for a single hour, just as they would not be able to anticipate it"
- "I warn you of the flaming fire. None shall be cast into it but the most wretched"
5 of 12
Matters of death - sources
- Exodus 20:13
- Pope Paul VI
- Acts 17:26
- I Corinthians 15
- Romans 10
- Church of England Board of Social Responsibility
- Surah 53
- Surah 16
- Surah 92
6 of 12
Drug abuse - quotes
- "Surely you know that you are God's temple and that God's spirit lives in you"
- "Do not get drunk with wine, which will only ruin you"
- "Drinking too much makes you loud and foolish. It's stupid to get drunk"
- Compassionate response to drug abuse, parable of sheep and goats
- It is Haraam [forbidden] to take any substances harmful to the body for Muslims
- "Do not with your own hands contribute to your destruction"
- Alcohol is banned "They ask you about drinking and gambling; say, "there is great harm in both, although they have some benefit for men; but their harm is far greater than their benefit."
7 of 12
Drug abuse - sources
- I Corinthians 3:16
- Ephesians 5:18
- Proverbs 20
- Surah 2
8 of 12
Crime and Punishment - quotes
- "Render unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar, but render unto God what belongs to God" Means obey the law
- "Love your neighbour as you love yourself"
- Jesus told peter he should forgive his brother [fellow man] "not seven times, but seventy-seven times."
- Elizabeth Fry 19th century Quaker campaigned for better prison conditions, and the abolition of the death penalty, emphasizing compassion and forgiveness
- Fall of man, shows the death penalty doesn't deter
- "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
- "There is substantial doubt that capital punishment has any significant deterrent effect"
- Jesus forgave the thief next to him on the cross
- Shariah Law, Allah sees all, most serious sin is Shirk which is essentially blasphemy against Allah. Emphasis is on honour tempered with mercy.
- "As to the thief, male or female, cut off their hands; a punishment by way of example"
- "If a man is slain unjustly, his heir shall be entitled to satisfaction."
9 of 12
Crime and Punishment - sources
- Matthew 22:21
- Mark 12:31
- Matthew 18:21
- Genesis 2
- John 8:7
- Church of England Synod
- Luke 23:42
- Surah 5
- Surah 17
10 of 12
Rich and Poor in Society - quotes
- "Remember that it is the Lord your God who gives you the power to become rich"
- "Being lazy will make you poor, but hard work will make you rich."
- "The love of money is the root of all evil"
- "It is much harder for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle"
- "You cannot serve both God and money"
- Salvation Army collects money to shelter the homeless, 50 centres in the UK which bed ~ 5000 people every night
- "He who eats and drinks while his brother goes hungry is not one of us"
- "No one eats better food than that which they have earned by their own labours"
- gambling is Haraam, "games of chance are abominations devised by Satan, avoid them so that you may prosper"
- Zakat is 2.5% of wealth given to the poor, as one of the pillars, and they support those in the Ummah
11 of 12
Rich and Poor in Society - sources
- Deuteronomy 8:18
- Proverbs 10:4
- I Timothy 6
- Mark 10:25
- Matthew 6:24
- The Hadith
- The Hadith
- Surah 5
12 of 12