Legal position on Abortion in the UK
Abortion is legal before 24 weeks.
TWO doctors agree that:
- It would harm the mother's physical or mental health OR
- It would harm the health of existing children.
Most abortions are carried out under the clause that the woman's mental health would be affected.
Abortion AFTER 24 weeks:
- It will be born with serious health problems.
- The mother's life is at risk.
1 of 4
When does life begin?
- 14 days - neurological system starts
- First heartbeat
- Viability - 20 weeks
- Ensoulment - (Islam:120 days)
2 of 4
Christian Attitude - Roman Catholic
- Abortion is NEVER acceptable. It is an "evil"
- 10 Commandments - DO NOT MURDER
- Life begins at conception - abortion is murder.
- Sanctity of Life - Life is God-given. Only God has the right to take life away.
- Supports adoption and fostering.
3 of 4
Christian Attitude - Protestant Church
- Abortion is wrong.
4 of 4