Why Christians believe in LAD.
- Jesus rose from the dead
- St Paul teaches that people will have a resurrection like Jesus
- Christian Churches teach that there is LAD
- They believe that the soul is immortal
- There is evidence of thw paranormal
1 of 8
How belief in LAD affects lives
- Christians beleive they will judged when they die.
- Love God and love thy neighbour - affected by praying to God and helping others.
- Christians help to do charity work.
- Sin can prevent people from going to heaven, so they live life trying not to commit sins.
Evidence of spirit world:
- clearest evidence comes from mediums - if mediums can contact the dead then there must be LAD.
Evidence of reincarnation
- De ja vu
2 of 8
Beliefs against LAD
- Different religions contradict each other
- If LAD were true then all religions would say the same thing.
- LAD is based on Holy Books but they contradict eachother
- Evidence of paranormal has been challenged by scientists.
- Science shows that the mind cannot live without the brain, so when they body dies, the mind must too.
3 of 8
- Legal up to 24 weeks/6 months
- The law says that abortion is only allowed if: the mothers life is at risk, mothers mental or physical health is at risk, the child is likely to be severely handicapped.
- Life belongs to God
- Life begins at conception = taking a life = banned in 10 commandments
- Love your nieghbour = abortion can be the most loving thing
- Duty of Christians to remove suffering
- Abortion destroys its right to life
- Adoption is better than abortion as it brings life and joy to a family
4 of 8
- Debt - Most LEDCs borrow money from MEDCs, but the interest they have to pay on the loans make countries poorer
- Wars - Wars in LEDCs destroy: crops, homes, schools, hospitals, causing more poverty. Also causes refugees.
- HIV/AIDS - The disease kills lots of people and the number of orphans are growing = poorer.
- Natural Disasters - Many LEDCs are situated in areas where there are lots of natural disasters, which destroy thousands of homes and farmland.
5 of 8
How they are working to remove poverty:
- Has a fund to deal with natural disasters and refugees
- Emergency Aid includes sending food, water and medical care.
- Campaining to cancel the debt owed by the worlds poorest countries
- Promotes fairtrade products to bring better prices, decent woring conditions, local sustainability for workers in developing countries.
Why they are working to end poverty:
- The New Tastament teaches riches must be used for the help of others
- All humans are equal in the eyes of God
- Jesus told many stories about helping and loving others
- Parable of the sheep and goat
- Golden Rule
6 of 8
- If they are being kept alive in agony then they should have the right to die
- People have the right to commit suicide
- Doctors have the right to switch off a life support machine
- Doctors can stop treatment
- Doubt to what the person really wants
- A cure may be found
- Doctors job is to save lives, not end them
- People may change their mind but it could be too late
7 of 8
Christian Attitudes to Ethanasia
- Loving your neighbour can justify suicide
- Basic human rights is to be in control of your own body.
- If painkillers kill a dying person it is not murder as their intention was to remove pain, not kill.
- If doctors say that someone is brain dead then they have already died.
- Bible teachings bans suicide
- Sancity of life - God chooses when we live and die
- Life is being ended by humans, not God, which is wrong
- Life is sacred and should only be taken by taken God
- Life and death belong to God alone.
8 of 8