- Created by: Jordane
- Created on: 22-04-10 18:21
Aim - To see if participants would obey an unjust order from an authority figure.
Method - Participants told they were part of a learning study
- Learner and teacher roles were given
- Participant (teacher) had to administer shocks to incorrect answers given
Findings - All participants went to 300 volts or more!
X Lacks ecological validity
X Harm to participants
X Artificial lab study
Factors which increase / decrease conformity.
- Down town office - 49% conformity
- Forced hand - 30% conformity
- Disobedient confederate - 20% conformity
- Obedient confederate - 93% conformity
Resisting pressures to conform.
- Individualization -> Point out - people like to be individual
- Maintain control -> People like to be in control
- Prior commitment -> Public e.g. referees
- Time to think and find social support -> More time to think and find support -> less likely to conform.
e.g. Titanic & lucitania-> the Titanic took a long time to sink, therefore a more organised approach was taken.