- Created by: Beth
- Created on: 24-05-15 15:44
The Logical Problem of Evil
- God is All Powerful
- God is All Good
- God opposes evil
- Therefore evil does not exist in the world.
=> This cannot all be true. God has the power and the motivation to eliminate evil but CHOOSES not to.
'Either God cannot abolish evil or he will not; if he cannot then he is not all powerful; if he will not then he is not all good' AUGUSTINE
** Epicurus first formulated the logical problem of evil
The Evidential Problem of Evil
- There exist instances of intense suffering.
- An All Powerful, All Good, God would prevent the occurence of any intense suffering.
- Therefore there does not exist an All Powerful, All Good being.
=> this is an inductive argument as it attempts to demonstrate that the existence of evil counts against the claim that God exists.