Aristotle's Four Causes
- The Material Cause-The Material Cause is the matter or substance that something is made from (e.g book is made from paper). the matter that the book is made from is paper
- The Formal Cause-It refers to what gives the matter "form" or "structure" A book is not just any old paper its pieces of paper arranges in a particular way. It is the idea or plan hat le to the creation of the object.
- The Efficient Cause- The agent or cause of the thing coming to exist as it is, the existence of a book is brought about by the author who makes it. The author is the efficient cause.
- The Final Cause:Most important as i describes what the object is for, what its telos or purpose is. e.g a book is made for you to read.
- e.g. House
- MC- house is made of bricks, cement, glass, wood.(things that the house is made of)
- EC- Process of the house being built, includes builder digging... (things that caused it to be built)
- FC- architects plan/design
- THE FC- to be lived in (The final cause is telological it is concerned with the goal/purpose/telosof the object)
1 of 1