Archive footage -
"It's easy to gun us down! We only have rocks!"
"Heard about the guy who fell off a skyscraper? On his way down past each floor, he kept saying to reassure himself, "so far, so good, so far, so good, so far so good." How you fall doesn't matter, it's how you land"
- non-diegetic soundtrack of 'burnin and lootin' by Bob Marley
- accompanying archive footage (documentaryesque) of riots, police in riot gear, looting, people getting resuccitated/hurt/carried off into ambulances
- slowly fades out as news reporter comes in talking about Abdel - turns off as if a TV would. (quickly cuts to black)
Playground - "This ain't Thoiry"
- Opens in a wide-angle long shot, all boys in frame - doing nothing, time lapse to same shot but Said talking to Hubert about p*rn - shows boredom, time's passed, uselessness.
- Camera tracking in closer to Vinz rolling a joint, car in background goes past then reverses,
- Long shot of car with camera man out the top, still hear non-diegetic talking of boys
- Panning up to Said as he and the boys walk forward - low angle shot - portrays them as in power
- Tracking backwards from boys as they begin to get more agitaged and move more,
- Saying they aren't animals, but shot through news camera lens look like rioting teens,
Hubert in Room
- begins with close-up of Hubert with head in his hands,
- jump cuts to him burning a knife - close-up
- non-diegetic soundtrack - 'That Loving feeling' by Isaac Hayes whilst cutting up hash
- jump cuts of him sitting in different positions then rolling a joint,
- music goes from non-diegetic to diegetic from stereo as he hears non-diegetic shout from Vinz/Said
- close-up of trainee looking uncomfortable with non-diegetic speaking of police in BG
- long shot from behind trainee of boys and police - positioned with him
- mise en scene - dark, basement type room with no windows,
- over the shoulder shot from police to trainee - close-up - looks uncomfortable
- mid-shot of both boys being strangled
- cuts from close-up of boys to trainee - he looks down and away - ashamed