Formulas are usually simple calculations, eg adding two or more numbers together. They always start with an equals sign (=).
They also require parenthesis, commas and square brackets
Symbols used in formulas
There are a number of symbols used in formulas or calculations. These are the most common ones:
- ‘+’ add
- ‘-’ subtract
- ‘*’ multiply
- ‘/’ divide
Functions make more complex calculations. Simple and regularly used functions include:
- SUM – adds values in selected cells
- MIN – finds smallest value
- MAX – finds largest value
- AVERAGE – finds the average value
- COUNT – counts how many of the selected cells have numbers in them
Like formulas, all functions start with an equals sign (=) followed by the function’s name, eg SUM, MIN, MAX, etc.