Hints and Tips for Examining Sources
- Content - What information can you get directly from the source and its caption.
- Nature - What type of source is it - a diary entry, cartoon, newspaper article?
- Origins - The caption should tell you who produced the source and when.
- Purpose - The reason the source was created.
- Selection - What has the author/artist chosen to include? What have they chosen to left out?
- Language - The language should give you clues about whether they are biased or unreliable.
- Bias - A source is still useful even if you think it is biased.
1 of 1