Health and safety

Health and safety

HideShow resource information

SWOV institute for road safety research (1997)

aim:To investigate the specific factors that contribute to the incide3nces of cycle accidents

Sample: Victims of cycling accidents in Amsterdam were selected by means if a random sample.Particpants were divided into three groups: sustained injury while riding, stationary cycle and cycle passengers. All victims had been taken to hospital as a result of accidents but only 19% admitted it, the other 81% returned home after first aid treatment

Method:Written questionaires to complete

Results:53%0 accidents feel while riding, 29% collided with another party and 24% collided with another object. 7%attrubuted their accident to technical cycle deflect,24% own behaviour and 27 other road users, 14% condition of road surface and 24% ither causes 30% occured at night-avoided by putting on lights. 4% wore helmets. Passengers- 73% cauight feet in the spokes, 70% had no wheel cover and 20% of cycle seats were poor quality

Conclusions: unsafe behaviours cause accidents rather then unsafe accidents. Recommendations- legal requirements, more aware of safe children transport, promote wearing bike helmets and road surfaces should be improved

1 of 2

Haight (2001) Accident proneness

-tracing history of accident prowness

- first used in greenwoon and woods (1919)- accident in women working in munitions factoried during first world war were not evenly distributed. hgiher than expected but some had a higher average than average- attractive

Arbous and kerrich (1951)- described as a figment of the imagination resulting from wishful thinking

three causes of raod accidents- factor related to drivers, road and random factors- greatly underestimated because people feel that if there is no blame attached then there is no countermeasure can be prescribed

2 of 2


No comments have yet been made

Similar Psychology resources:

See all Psychology resources »See all Health and clinical psychology resources »