Accounts or Finance
- Carrys out tasks relating to money that comes into the organisation as well as going out.
- Records received payments for goods/services provided.
- Many payments paid by BACS
- BACS: Banks Automated Clearing System
- Records of all financial transactions must be kept!
- External Organisations that they keep in touch with:
- Inland Revenue - Require accurate amounts so correct amount of tax can be collected, e.g. employees & organisations
- Customs & Excise - Requires details of transactions including VAT --> detuct VAT paid by organisation to suppliers from the amount of VAT recvieved by the organisation from suppliers.
- Shareholders - want accurate financial records as well as bank if wanting loan.
- This function will also communicate with:
- Human Resources (HR)
1 of 12
- This is a section within Accounts or Finance.
- Purely responsible for the ordering & payment of goods/services
- Will raise purchase orders
- Will recieve & arrange payment of supplier's invoices.
- Other functions will communicate with these when needing supplies.
2 of 12
Sales Order Processing
- This is another section within Accounts or Finance.
- Responsible for administration of organisations financial dealing with customers.
- Organise contracts for services.
- Recieve sales orders.
- Create & send invoices.
- Recvieve & process customer payments.
- Close links with Sales.
3 of 12
- Responsible for selling an organisations products/services to customers.
- Many examples:
- Sales staff help customers find required products.
- Take customer payments.
- Wrap purchases.
- Ensure goods on display.
- Maybe take orders for out-of-stock items.
- Newspaper publishing:
- Responsible for selling advertisement space in newspaper --> TELESALES
- Staff take card details from customer OR add the cost to an account so customer can recieve invoice.
- Kitchen Design Company:
- May visit customer to talk about requirements.
- Give quotation based on requirements.
- If agreed on quotation salesperson orders parts & organise labour.
- Take deposit.
- Will work closely with:
- Marketing Accounts Production Distribution
4 of 12
- Often linked with Sales.
- Reponsibility to:
- Plan future sales
- Monitor organisations relationship with customer & potential customers.
- Also advertise organisations products/services:
- Designing advertisements & buying advert space.
- Design & distribute flyers.
- Trade fair stands.
- Web-based advertising.
- Market research --> direct marketing
- VIA themselves or a direct marketing agency.
- Close links with:
- Design & Marketing.
5 of 12
Research & Development
- Carries out research into new things:
- Development: develops new products/services
- creating prototype to see whether there is a market for it.
- However may not be put into production
- Helps to improve products/services.
- R&D work closely wiyh marketing so no wasting time & money on projects.
- Also communicate with design & production functions.
6 of 12
Human Resources (HR)
- Deals with organisation employees.
- More staff needed = contacts employment agencies & places advertisements.
- Responsible for sending out application forms as well as complete application forms, CVs & application letters.
- Application letterss liaised with senior staff to shortlist applicants for interview
- Interview organised by HR
- Other tasks include:
- Handling requests for leave.
- Disciplinary matters.
- Arranging cover for staff on leave/sick
- Recording staff hours worked & calculating wages due.
- Organise staff pension contributions.
- Sending out redundancy notices when staff needs to be reduced.
- Dealing with trade unions & staff organisations
- Arranging & keeping records of staff training.
- In regular contact with all other functions.
- Communicate with external functions:
- Employment agencies
- Inland Revenue.
7 of 12
- Takes over where R&D function finishes
- Takes the ideas & prototypes developed by R&D and turns them into designs for products/services that could be supplied to customers.
- Design products from scratch.
- Communicates with:
- Research & Development
8 of 12
- Most likey to be found in an organisation that makes or sells goods.
- A.K.A: Logistics
- Goods from factory/farm --> warehouse --> shops or customers
- VIA: mail or courirers.
- Ensure packages correctly addressed --> courier/postal collection is organised.
- Bulk sent by either rail/air freight/road hauliers.
- Responsible for items to arrive on time.
- Communicate with:
- Sales Function
9 of 12
- Only occurs in organisation that manufacturers.
- Takes the raw materials, parts & facilities and uses them to make the products.
- There will be a production line where members of the production function each carry out a particular task --> products moves along the line.
- Many machines now taking over task - more about overseeing and maintaining & checking quality of products created.
- Communicate with all other functions.
- Service organisations = Service Provision
- Provide service to customer.
- There will also be cleaners and mainteniance staff.
10 of 12
- Responsible for the provision of all computer facilities within the organisation.
- For example:
- Obtaining, installing, maintaining hardware & software
- Managing the local area & possibly wide area network services (LANs & WANs).
- Providing hardware & software support to ICT users in organisation.
- Internal & external data communications --> intranet & website.
- Small organisations no ICT services function BUT hve contrct with external ICT services provider.
- Communcate with all other functions.
11 of 12
- Day-to-day running.
- For example:
- Looking after building & facilities.
- General maintenance
- Fleet management and utilites.
- In smaller organisations ICT services & HR may make up administration.
- Exchane info with other functions.
12 of 12
Similar ICT resources: