- Created by: chloegreenwood
- Created on: 09-05-15 19:47
Fuel Wood Gathering Impacts
Erosion by water/wind
Surface run off faster
Flooding & increased sediment from erosion
Fewer nutrients aded into soil from decomposing vegetation
Nutrients lost from soil
Infertile soil - ecosystems permanently damaged
Can't be used for crops/ grazing
Is gathering fuel wood sustainable?
- Gatherng dead wood in rural areas for local use is sutainable
- Commercial collection of lvie wood for urban areas is now outstripping growth.
- Ubranisation making problems worse:
- Ubran populations growing faster
- Convert wood to charcoal, lighter but only contains 40% woods energy, so larger lumps wood needed (not twigs).
- Not enough wood nearby, have to travel further.
- Can't heat food, have lighting or warmth.
- Increased demand for alternative resources.
- Conlict for little wood left.