- Created by: Sam_dearnx
- Created on: 24-01-17 22:56
The importance of stats
Unifying method to resolve controversy in science: find the most probable explanation.
Stats yield probability estimates for theories
They also allow us to quantify uncertainty.
A good understanding is key in critical appraisal.
Good knowledge of stats = good scientist
- To describe a study population.
- Enable you to learn a large pile of numbers that cannot be comprehended at a glance into a very small set of numbers that can be more easily understood.
- Include measures of central tendency, variability, and association, presented both numerically and visually.
- Using what we know from the data we have collected to make inferences about what we don't know.
- Allows us to draw conclusions about your data that can be applied to the wider population.
Stages of research
1) Identifying a research question.
2) Generating a hypothesis.
3) Conducting the research
4) Statistical analysis