Zimmerman and West (1987) Distinction between sex
- sex is biological
- Gender is performative, omipresent.
- we are constantly, doing gender, its made by us in everyday lives in our interactions with others.
- doing gender thrives on continually establishing a dual order of 2 sexes.
- simplify the categories so that we can use them, can work them out together, and move on.
1 of 3
- is the social system in which males are dominant figure to social organisation, occupying roles of political leadership, moral authority and control of property.
2 of 3
1st wave feminism:
- women suffarage.
- 'the condition of our sex is so deplorable that it is our duty to break the law in oder to call attention to the reasons why we do'
2nd wave feminism:
- sexuality, family, workplace, reproductive rights, inequalities, offical legal equalities.
- 'no women gets and ****** from shinning the kitchen floor'
- 'one is not born a women but becomes one' Beauvior
- Non-essentialised identity, gender violence, reclaiming language, ****, race and class.
3 of 3
Similar Sociology resources: