Environmental impact of fishing
- By-catch: dolphins caught by pair trawling; whales, dolphins, turtles, sharks caught in drift nets
- Ghost fishing: fish lobsters etc. caught by discarded or lost fishing gear
- Seabed damage: coral reefs damaged by nets
- Food chain effects: some species more common if their predators are over-exploited, reduced food supply for predators, increased food supply for competitors.
- Effects of fishing on fish stocks: overfishing caused by exceeding the MSY changed the biomass and age structure of the population e.g. cod, herring, tuna.
1 of 1