- every species has a value and has its right to survive!
- humans have ethical responsibilities to look after the evironment and living things
however, these arguements are subjectable because the governemnt are more likely to listen if there are economical reasons.
Economics and social reasons
Direct economical value of species
- provides valuable food sources
- plant speices can be used in drugs
- natuaral predators of prey can act as biological control agents
In direst economic value of species
- insects can pollinate plants
- ecotourism and recreation have social and financial value from the aesthetic value of living things (e.g. an industry in books, film and media)
however, preservation can maintain biodiversity even better !
Why is conservation important?
it maintains biodiversity = (keeping things natural), maintaining diversity between specises, genetic diversity, variety of habitats, and ecosystems.
things that threaten biodiversity:
- over exploitation of resources like cod in the North sea
- habitat disruption from increased agricultural practices
- species introduced to a different ecosystem to their own and may out- compete native species