What was Nato?
- A defencive alliance against The Soviet Union
- A security pact with Article 5 stating that a military attack against any countries would be considered an attack against them all.
- It was formed because the Western countries feared that they would not match the USSR's power
- Before 1952:
- USA,UK,Belguim,the Netherlands,Luxemburg,France,Canada,Portugal,Italy,Norway,Denmark and Iceland
- Greece and Turkey
1 of 2
The Warsaw Pact 1952
What was the Warsaw Pact?
- The Soviets response to West Germany joining Nato
- USSR saw Nato as an agressive alliance
- Soviet made tanks, aircraft and guns were used throughout the Warsaw Pact
- military command was dominated by decisions made in Moscow
Original members -
- Soviet Union
- Albania (until 1968)
- East Germany (until 1990)
2 of 2