- Created by: Tia-H
- Created on: 18-04-19 17:34
Photosynthesis - Endothermic
- 6CO2 + 6H2O = C6H12O6 + 6O2
- Carbon dioxide + Water = Glucose + Oxygen
- Rate is affected by - fertilliser (Magnisium & nitrates), Chlorophyll (Makes plants green) and Green houses (Lighting, greater yield, higher temp).
- Broad - Larger surface area.
- Thin - Shorter diffusion distance.
- Veins - Water in xylem, nutrients in the phloem.
- Air spaces - Diffusion, CO2 goes in & O2 goes out.
- Guard cells - Regulate gas exchange, open &close the stomata.
- Soil is low in minerals so get nutrients from animals.
Anaerobic and Aerobic Respiration
- C6H12O6 = 2C3H6O3 + Energy
- Glucose = Lactic acid + Energy
- Muscle fatigue - Stop contracting efficienctly.
Oxygen debt - Lactic acid + Oxygen = Carbon dioxide + Water
- Build up of lactic acid - causes cramping.
- C6H12O6 + 6O2 = 6CO2 = 6H2O + Energy
- Glucose + Oxygen = Carbon dioxide + Water + Energy
- Glucose is stored as oxygen.
- Energy Transfer - Muscles contract, Internal body temperature, Plants transport minerals , For all life functions.
Response to Exercise & Use of Glucose in Plants
- To increase the rate of supply of O2 & glucose - Heart rate increases & arteries dialate.
- Breathing rate increases - Remove CO2 quickly.
- Breath deeper - Increase O2 entering & picked up by red blood cells.
- Glycogen converted back to glucose for use.
Uses of Glucose in Plants
- Cellulose - Strengthen cell wall, complex carbohydrates.
- Fats & oils - Seeds, energy stored.
- Growth - Glucose & nitrates make amino acids.
- Starch - Boil leaf in ethanol, remove waxy cuticle, test in iodine, goes black. Storage and insoluable in water.
Metabolism & Role of the Liver
Metabolism - Sum of all chemical reactions that happen inside the cell.
- Breakdown of excess protein in the liver.
- Formation of lipids.
- Glucose to starch.
- Making proteins.
- Respiration & photosynthesis.
Role of the Liver
- Detoxifying poisonous substances e.g. alcohol.
- Breakdown old blood cells for storing iron.
- Converts lactic acids.
- Passes brokendown products into the blood.