Humans depend on plants
- Humans depend on plants for foods because they are at the start of the food chain
- Plants use sunlight to convert CO2 and water into complex organic compounds e.g carbohydrates
- Animals eat and digest nurtients from the plants which is neccesary for growth
- We grow plants for either direct consumption or to feed to animals e.g. cows which then we eat later on.
1 of 3
Pesticides, Fertilisers, Antibiotics
- Fertilisers Increase crop yield because they contain minerals that plants need growth for e.g. potassium
- Minerals in soil are used up during crop gowth and the fertilisers replace this.
- can be made naturally e.g. cow manure or artificially by humans.
- chemicals that kill pests that would normally feed on the plant - this increases crop yield.
- Pests can be microbes, insects, or even rats
- May be only specific and kill one type of pest but others can kill all of them that could have otherwise helped them.
2 of 3
- Animals that are farmed for food are given antibiotics to kill or inhibit the bacteria inside the animal.
- reduces energy that would have been used on killing the bacteria which means theres more energy for growth- increases food production
- can increase growth rate and size of an animal e.g. turkeys go through this process commonly.
3 of 3