- Created by: Gregory
- Created on: 30-04-12 08:28
- Ergonomics is the science of designing products, systems and environments for human use.
- The main objective of ergonomics to the designer is to improve peoples lives by increasing their comfort and satisfacton when interacting with products, systems and environments.
- To do this data about the size and shape of the human body is needed, this is called anthropometrics
1 of 3
- Anthropometrics is a branch of ergonomics that deals with human measurements in particular their shapes and sizes.
- Anthropometric data must take into account the greatest possible number of users, so this data exits in the form of charts which provides measurements for the 90% of the population that falls between the fith and 95th percentile
2 of 3
Applications of Anthropometrics
- Anthropometric data is available from the British Standards Institute (BSI)
- The 5th percentile is the size/dimension at which only 5% of the population is shorter than
- The size/dimension that only 5% of the population is taller/larger than is called the 95th percentile
- When designing a product the designer should ignore the 5th and 95th % and design the product to suit the 90% in between who make up the majority of the users
3 of 3