Anthropometrics and Ergonomics
Anthropometrics - is the use of average body measurements to find the most appropriate size for products for comfortable and efficient use
Ergonomics - is studying how well the human body and products interact in a range of environments and situations
- This uses body sizes to improve how well products, systems and environments work
- A designer of mobile phones would look at data for hand sizes and head measurements to ensure the product can be held and used easily
- Mobiles should be comfortable to hold, easy to operate & control with the fingertips .As well as audible.
- Ergonomics is studying how well the human body and products interact in a range of environments.
- Product designers are particularly concerned with making products that are easy to use
Systems – the layout of a computer workstation to make it more efficient and reduce strain injury risk
Environments – the interior of a car ensure comfort and an efficient interface between the control systems and the driver
Products - mobiles should be comfortable to hold, easy to operate & control with the fingertips .
- Designers use the anthropometric measurements to design ergonomic systems and products which look good and work well
- This can be applied to all systems and products