When Did Global Warming Start?
- Industrial revolution. (1800's)
- Hockey Stick model starting point.
- More Carbon Dioxide was being put into the atmosphere.
1 of 7
UK evidence for Global Warmming
- There has been an increase in mosquito's in UK due to warmer climate.
- More freak weather in the UK e.g. in 2012 drought early on in year and flooding over the summer.
- Change in land use e.g. drought ---> less farming.
- Increasing cost of diseases such as skin cancer on the NHS.
2 of 7
Global Evidence for Global Warming
- Food production; in USA will increase by $2 billion, Africa's will decrease by $1.3 billion.
- 3 billion people will face water shortages by 2080.
- There has been an rise in global temperatures.
- Rise in freak weather pattens.
- Rise in global sea levels.
3 of 7
Sceptical Views of Global Warming
- Meyer says there is no correlation between CO2 released and temperature rise.
- Or temperature increase causes CO2 to increase.
4 of 7
Sceptical Views of Global Warming 2
- Evidence from 600,000 years of tree ringing and ice core data show CO2 rises after temperature.
- 100 year delay between. It could be down to Milankontehs tilt, wobble and stretch of the Earth.
- The urban heat island effect makes data from weather stations located in towns and cities irrelevant.
5 of 7
Global Warming is Happening- Al Gore
- Al Gore uses the hockey stick curve to show that CO2 is causing global warming.
6 of 7
It has Been Warmer in the Recent Past
- Earth was warmer in the past- Medieval warm, grew grapes in UK.
- Arctic was warmer in the 1930's.
7 of 7