Slides in this set
Perestroika: Economic Restructuring.
· Glasnost: New Freedom and Openness.
These reforms helped to remove the oppression of peoples true attitudes
towards the USSR and made it possible for them to criticize their
communist government.…read more
Brezhnev Doctrine abandoned 1988.
The Brezhnev Doctrine was introduced after the Czech Rebellion of 1968.
It dictated that the USSR would intervene in any country where socialism
was under threat.
Consequently, Eastern Bloc countries had a choice to who rules them.…read more
· Hardline anti-communist. He called the Soviet Union an "Evil Empire"
· Reagan believed that escalating the Cold War would win it.
· He was keen to show off American Technology and power through the
development of new weapons. Consequently, a new arms race was
· The US developed Cruise and Pershing missiles and started to develop the
Strategic Defence Initiative (or Star Wars as it became to be known).
The USSR simply could not afford to keep up with this new Cold War. They
felt vulnerable in the face of the USA's militiary superiority and therefore
became more diplomatic.…read more
1989 Communism started to collapse.
· Hungary opened its frontier with Austria in May.
· Free-elections were held in Poland in June. Solidarity was elected.
· Many East Germans crossed into Hungary, through Austria and into West
· Berlin wall was torn down in November.
· Anti-communist demonstrations took place in Czechoslovakia and the
communist government collapsed in December.
· In December a revolution started in Romania against the cruel and corrupt
regime of dictator Ceausescu, who was executed on Christmas Day.
· The Warsaw Pact official ended in 1991.…read more