Slides in this set
· End of the civil war brought emancipation for the slaves.
· Immigration in the 19th and 20th centuries brought a wave of
· 1990's migrant population was growing at 13 times the rate of
the non-hispanic white population.
· 2000 census = Hispanics = larger proportion of population than
· How do you move from a society that was half slave half free to
one in which the interests of minorities are protected and
Civil rights movement
· 1950's segregation was widespread in South.
· Separate but equal (Plessey VS Ferguson - 1896).
· World War Two Raise the consciousness of black Americans.
· Montgomery bus boycott 1955
· Brown VS Board of education Topeka 1954
· Separate but equal ruled unconstitutional
· Little rock 9 1957
· Presidential authority (eventually) asserted in favour of Civil Rights sent in
· 1964 and 1965 Civil Rights acts
· Made it the state's job to make it easy to vote.…read more
Developments in minority
· Residential segregation 1930's depression blacks
moved to big cities seeking work.
· Inner city = black
· Suburbs = white.
· Supreme court and Congress plunge into CR.
· Argument between equality of opportunity and equality of
· From middle of 20th century just giving people rights wasn't enough,
had to work towards equality of results.
· The only way to overcome racial disadvantage is to introduce racial
Advantage to racial minorities
· Movement of school children between homogeneous
neighbourhoods black inner city and white suburbs to create
racially mixed schools.
· Set-aside system to benefit previously disadvantaged minorities in
areas of education and employment.
· Declared unconstitutional by SC in 80's and 90's.
· Affirmative action
· Giving previously disadvantaged minorities a head start in higher
education and employment.
· Positive discrimination.…read more