First 162 words of the document:
Identify and briefly explain one reason why people from some ethnic minorities
seem to have a higher participation rate in religion than other social groups.
One mark for an appropriate reason identified such as:
· religion may be linked to cultural defence
· the practice may be apparent, not real.
Two further marks for a satisfactory explanation such as:
· Religion may provide community functions: religious organisations may have significance in
the community to provide social network functions. E.g. reinforcing the identity of a
· People may have religious belief as something carried over from a previous culture:
research from sociologists such as Herberg has shown that for some newly immigrant
groups maintaining their existing religion are an important element in their cultural life.
· Religious activity may be linked to the maintenance of a previous culture: people may
return to old religious beliefs as part of discovering their heritage.