Slides in this set
how did Hitler get rid of the treaty of
· He made a larger navy by signing a treaty with
Britain called the Anglo-German naval treaty in
1935 this meant that they could have a navy 35%
the size of the British navy.
· He started conscription this was not allowed by
the treaty. The army was increased to 600,000
· He set up an air force in 1935 called the Luftwaffe.
· in 1936 he remilitarised the Rhineland.
· Made alliances with Italy & Japan 1935-7.…read more
The territorial gains of 1938-1939.
Austria (Anschluss) march 1938-
Hitler waned the land for
Grossdeutschland and he knew that Italy would not stop him because they where friends.
Italy may have wanted to stop him before because Austria was between Italy and
Germany. Chancellor Schschnigg was forced to appoint Nazis in to government. They held
a plebiscite and 99.75% of the Austrian people who voted said that they wanted Germany
in charge of there country.
Czechoslovakia (Sudetenland) October 1938-
Hitler wanted the Sudetenland for Grossdeutschland as 3 million German speakers lived
there. They also had many natural resources such as coal and iron ore. Their was also a
weapons factory. The Czechs had a large army and so he wanted to stop any chance of an
attack. Britain, France, Italy and Germany met at the Munich conference where they
allowed Hitler to have the land if he promised not to take any more.
Czechoslovakia march 1939-
Hitler wanted Czechoslovakia because it meant that it would be easier to attack the USSR
in the future. And he wanted more land for Germans to live in (lebensraum). He also
thought that Britain and France would do nothing.…read more
· Grossdeutschland- Hitler wanted all German
speakers to live in one country.
· Sudetenland- an area of Czechoslovakia where 3
million German speakers lived.
· Munich conference- Britain, France, Italy and
Germany agreed that Hitler could have the
Sudetenland if he promised to take no more.
· Plebiscite- public vote.
· Rome-Berlin axis- Italy and Germany agreed to
help each other out.…read more