Slides in this set
What is DNA?...
· DNA stands for Deoxyribonucleic acid
· It is the hereditary material in humans and
almost all other organisms.
· Nearly every cell in a person's body has the
same DNA. Most of the DNA is located in the
cell nucleus (where it is called nuclear DNA), but
a small amount of DNA can also be found in the
What is it made up of?...
· The information in DNA is stored as a
code made up of four chemical bases:
Adenine (A), Guanine (G), Cytosine (C),
and Thymine (T).
· Human DNA consists of about 3 billion
bases, and more than 99% of those bases
are the same in all people.…read more
· How many strands make up a DNA double
· What holds one strand against the other in the
double helix? Hydrogen bonds between the bases
What are the four pairs of DNA bases that form
in the double helix?
Thymine, Adenine, Cytosine and Guanine
· What is a mutation?
A mutation is a permanent change in the
DNA sequence of a gene.…read more
Summary of the DNA molecule...
· DNA is made up of subunits called nucleotides.
· Each nucleotide is made up of a Deoxyribose sugar, a phosphate
and a base.
· There are 4 different bases in a DNA molecule:
The number of adenine bases equals the number of thymine
The number of guanine bases equals the number of cytosine
The basic structure of the DNA molecule is a helix, with the
bases being stacked on top of each other…read more