Slides in this set
Christian attitudes to sickness and healing
· Jesus spend a lot of time healing people showing
that this is what he wants his followers to do.
· Sickness can be of your soul not just physical and
the Church helps both with physical healing and
· The Church has a Sacrament (a signpost to God)
which helps people when they are ill. This brings
them reassurance that God is with them and
brings them comfort in difficult times.…read more
The Rite of the Anointing of the Sick,
including the symbolism.
What happens. Why what it symbolises.
Holy Water is sprinkled on the This reminds them of their Baptism and that
person God is still with them as he was then.
The priest lays his hands on the This symbolises the Holy Spirit's presence
sick person which will bring strength in difficult times.
The sick persons head and hands This symbolises healing and strength being
are anointed with the Holy oil given to the person to help them cope with
(Catechumens) and a special their illness or if they are near death their
prayer is said. journey to the next life.
A prayer is offered for the sick This helps them to feel that God is specially
persons specific needs. blessing them.
Holy Communion is offered. This is allowing the ill person to receive Jesus
If just before death this is called and brings comfort and strength for the
VIATICUM. journey ahead.…read more
When can you have the sacrament.
1. When you are near death.
2. When your are going to have a serious
3. When you are seriously ill.
4. When you are old and frail.
5. When your unconscious (in a coma) if
requested by your loved ones.…read more
The purpose of the sacrament of the
Anointing of the Sick on Roman Catholics.
1. Helps people to deal with difficult things.
2. Reassures people that God is with them.
3. Reminds people that death is not the end.
4. Offers strength to people.
5. Supports not just the ill person but their
friends and family.…read more
The effects and impact of the sacrament of
the Anointing of the Sick on Roman Catholics.
1. Sometimes the person can be healed.
2. Can bring peace of mind to the person who
receives it. Helps them to come to terms with
3. Reminds them that God is close to them in
difficult times helping them come closer to God.
4. Helps people face death with calmness and
5. Comforts sick person and their family and