Other slides in this set
Here's a taster:
Sexual Reproduction is when a male and female sex cell gametes fertilise
as the nucleus fuse together and make the offspring.
· Sexually reproduced offspring inherit features from both parents and get
23 chromosomes from each parent.
· Asexual Reproduction doesn't need more than one sex cells, it only needs
one parent and the offspring has identical genes to the parent. The
offspring is made by the cell and its chromosomes dividing into two.
· A disadvantage of asexual is that they are unable to adapt when the
· There are four main methods of Cloning: Cuttings, tissue culture, embryo
transplants and adult cell cloning.
· Taking cuttings is when a branch from the parent plant is cut off, its
lower leaves removed and the stem planted in damp compost. It is quick,
easy and ideal for home gardeners.
· Tissue culture is when you take one cell or ex-plant from a plant and grow
it into a whole one. They have to be put into a growth medium and have the
correct amount of light, water and temperature. It is quick and uses a small
amount of space.
· sperm and egg cells from the selected animals are taken and artificially
fertilised. The embryo then develops and is split many times to form clones.
These clones are implanted in other animals to produce the ideal animal.
· Adult cell cloning is when you get a female call and ultraviolet light is used
to kill the nucleus, then a nucleus from a normal cell is removed and added
to the damaged female one. The new cell then multiplies and is implanted
into the surrogate mother.
· Genetic Engineering is also used to change an organism. It is when a
useful gene is removed from on organisms chromosome using enzymes, and
the enzymes are used to cut another organisms gene and insert the "useful"
· It is used to create plants and animals that are resistant to viruses and to
help them grow more useful characteristics.
· it is a very controversial issue topic because it is seen as not natural but
may be very beneficial.…read more