- Why did the USA enter the war in 1917?
- William Jennings Bryan resigned as Secretary of State
- Many individuals urged Government to ensure a world role
- Businessmen & bankers were making a fortune from increased trade with the allies
- Wilson wanted to be involved in the peace talks
- Emotive reports roused anti-German attitudes
- Sinking of the Lusitania caused a storm of protest against Germany
- 1917 - Germany continued the campaign of unrestricted submarine warfare
- Germany gave UDA strict instructions of what ships were going to be sunk, America saw this a violation of the "free seas"
- Abdication of Nicholas II in Russia meant that joining the allies would be a "fight for democracy"
- Manifest Destiny?
- Decode of the Zimmerman Telegraph promised German support for Mexico against the USA
- Historical Forces
- USA bound to become a major player after Japan had joined the war
- Trade with Britain& France inreased by x4 -contrast to Germany which was only 10% more
- Britain was bankrupt
- Financial support meant taking sides - $2.3 billion to UK, $27 million to Germany
Similar History resources: