- Why did the Nazis try to take power in Munich in 1923?
- Unpopularity of the Weimar republic increased in 1923 when strikes in the Ruhr were called off and reparations began
- Former army leader General Ludendorff was close to Hitler, so the Nazis thought he could persuade the German army to support them.
- The Nazis thought they were ready and Hitler was an established leader
- They had about 55 000 supporters (mainly in Munich) and the SA
- The government of Bavaria was right -wing and didn't like the Weimar republic
- The Nazis thought the government there would support them