- Why was the Berlin Wall built?
- Berlin was deep inside of Eastern Germany. So, the Berlin Wall was used to separate Western-influenced West Berlin from the communist East Berlin.
- The Western forces joined together to form West Berlin which was used as a headquarter for spying on the Soviet Berlin and Germany.
- West Berlin was much more prosperous than communist East Berlin and so many talented people from Soviet Berlin crossed over into West Berlin.
- The USA and the USSR both had very different ideologies. Americans believed in capitalism whereas the Soviets believed in socialism.
Similar History resources: