- Created by: Crmorgan2003
- Created on: 02-06-19 13:22
- Why the means test was very unpopular.
- People hated having an inspector go through their belongings.
- People didn't like making their relatives live some place else.
- It was humiliating for families to have to reveal their earnings
- If the officials thought that there was enough money in the house, they would stop the dole.
- Some local authorities applied the means test very harshly
- Others refused to carry it out.
- The means test was a great strain on family life.
- People thought the government cared more about saving money than helping the unemployed.
Similar History resources: