- Themes and Symbolism: Identity
- Guilt in every aspect of Amir's life.
- Amir: Defined by his failure to save Hassan and his failure to live up to his fathers expectations.
- Amir's journey towards becoming a man who will 'stand up' for things.
- Amir has enjoyed a privileged life.
- Hassan still refers to Assef as 'Agah' even though he insulted his whole family.
- Others: Can be determined by their race or ethnicity.
- General Taheri: Defines himself by his previous role in government. Symbolised by his suit.
- Amir: Accepts his traditional upbringing. Wants to generate a new identity with Soraya who is unhappy with her identity as a women as it limits her in an Afgan community.
- Identity - Complex construct influenced by ethnicity, gender and experience.
Similar English Literature resources: