- Revolt of the Norman Earls (1075)
- Led by the Norman Earls
- Kings sheriffs held pleas in Rogers lands challenging his local power.
- William had forbidden Ralph's marriage
- Waltheof had to much to drink at the Wedding feast
- His wife Judith informed the King and he was arrested and beheaded in 1076
- Roger was the 'driving force' behind the rebellion
- Waltheof beheaded in 1076
- Rebels tried to raise help from Danes however they were delayed following confusion in Denmark after their King died (1074)
- Danish fleet under Cnut sailed for England however rebellion was over by the time they arrived.
- William was warned of rebellion by Judith
- Earl of Hereford was trapped beyond river Severn by Wulfstan and Aethling who cooperated to raise an army
- Waltheof beheaded (1076)
- Ralph flees to Britany
- Roger is sentanced to life imprisonment
Similar History resources: