- Senator Joseph McCarthy encouraged anti-communist feelings
- The Communist Party was banned from the USA.
- After McCarthy had accused 45 army officers of being communists, he was asked to prove this – he had no evidence and so he lost his job. The court case was broadcast on television.
- He accused people of being communists, stating that he had a list of communists who were working in government, in the army and in other important posts.
- With no evidence against them, hundreds of people were accused of secretly working for the Soviet Union.
- Ruined peoples lives