- High-energy collisions ~ Particle Accelerators
- Explain the role of electric fields in linear particle accelerators.
- Recognise and use the expression r=p/BQ for a charged particle in a magnetic field.
- Recognise and use the expression E=c m in situations involving the creation and annihilation of matter and antimatter particles.
- Use the non-SI units MeV & GeV (energy) and MeV/c, GeV/c (mass) & atomic mass unit u, & convert between these & SI units.
- Explain the role of electric & magnetic fieldsin cyclotron particle accelerators.
- Be aware of relativisti effects & that these need to be taken into account at speeds near that of light.