- Glanzer and Cunitz (1966)
- Aim - to investigate the distinction between STM and LTM
- Research method - laboratory experiment
- Procedure - participants were presented with a list of words, one at a time. Then, they were asked to recall them in any order (free recall). Condition 1: immediate free recall. Condition 2: delayed recall - free recall after interference task.
- Results - condition 1 - the immediate recall group found that they remembered more words from the beginning and end of the list. Condition 2 - the delay recall group found that they remembered more words from the beginning of the list. Interference task removed the recency effect.
- Conclusion - the findings support the concept of separate memory stores as STM was affected by the interference task but LTM was not.