- Descartes' description of the soul and Criticisms
- The mind is a "non-corporeal," (non bodily) substance, which is distinct from a material or bodily substance.
- The property of mind substance is consciousness.
- The soul is separate from the body as it cannot be doubted whereas the body can.
- "Cogito ergo sum," (I think therefore I am).
- Without a soul, bodies were just robotic entities.
- How can a non material substance (the soul) affect a material substance (the body)?
- Mental processes go on in the brain are dependent on the brain's biological functioning. Therefore, when our bodies die, life after death is not possible.
Similar Philosophy resources: