- Created by: Saniya8888
- Created on: 22-04-18 22:17
- Changing roles and relationships
- Pahl (2005,2008) was interested in who makes decisions in the family, the method of money management in couples reflects who earns the most. 1/3 of women have some independence in financial matters.
- why is domestic violence not reported?
- victim is ashamed
- afraid it will get worse
- sees it as a private matter
- do not think the police will take it seriously
- might be financially dependent on the abuser
- might not want to disrupt the children's life
- Edgell (1980), interviewed middle-class couples and found that men had decision-making control over things both saw important and women made minor decisions. this is linked to the fact that men bring back higher earnings into households.
- POWER within the family refers to those between adult partners and children and parents. the male bringing income to the household has more power.
- Domestic violence is behaviour in any relationship that is used to gain or maintain power and control over an individual.
- often child neglect or abuse is part of family life. they sometimes grow up in such families with the understanding that such an arrangement is normal.
- BCS, 1/4 women and 1/6 men suffer some kind of domestic violence
- 2011 NSPCC found that 1/5 were severely maltreated. it has helped 3.5 million children since its launch in 1986.
Similar Sociology resources: